Business law, also referred to as commercial law and contract law, covers all of the laws that govern business-related matters, such as:
- any type of business contract or commercial agreement, including confidentiality agreements and shareholders agreements,
- structuring your company or group of companies and/or unit trusts,
- buying and selling businesses and assets,
- negotiating a business deal,
- raising money for your business (capital raising),
- company registration for a new company,
- company constitutions,
- joint venture arrangements and business partnerships,
- listing your company on a stock exchange (IPO),
- share option plans,
- corporate insolvency (administration, receivership and liquidation),
- corporate governance, company directors duties and compliance with corporations laws, and
- dealing with regulators.
To successfully start, operate or exit a business, you will need to comply with business law, commercial law, contract law and related regulations. At some point in your business journey, you will likely benefit from getting legal advice and guidance from an experienced business attorney.